Have you ever wanted to radically change your body composition in time for a wedding or another important date that you’d like to be remembered as looking like a badass?? Of course you did. How did that turn out for you?? Lots of treadmill?
Starve yourself on spinach salad hold the salad? Binge on sweets once a week??
Unfortunately this is the way alot of people do it.
Heres the story of Stephanie Johnson (now Crisler) who stopped in to try out kettlebells and functional training at Swing This to get ready for her wedding . Of course she was in love with running at the time… But I’ll let her tell you the story ….
“My fiance proposed on December 22, 2011.
When he proposed, I weighed 167 lbs and rarely made trips to the gym, but decided to make this a priority so I could prepare myself for our July 2013 wedding. I started going to Urban Active pretty regularly and would do the same thing just about everyday–crunches, chest flies, and run. This worked in my favor for the first few months allowing me to drop about 17 lbs (give or take depending on the day). However, the weight was only a number– my body didn’t feel much different even though I had lost nearly 20 lbs. I continued to OBSESS over my weight and hop on the scale every morning and every night (terrible idea) and I might as well have starved myself half of the time. In fact, I don’t know how many times Brett (my fiance) would tell me that I needed to eat more, but I constantly resisted because I “didn’t want to get fat”.
Some days I would drag my feet when it was time to leave work (who does that?!) because I really just wasn’t motivated to go to the gym to do my sit ups, chest flies and run…it was BORING and the only thing I really noticed from it after a while was the scale staying on the same number. I heard about Swing This in late October 2012 and visited this gym for the first time on Monday, November 5, 2012 and can honestly say that I have not stepped foot in another gym since.
Since I’ve started working out at Swing This, my lifestyle has changed drastically on many accounts:
- 1. I no longer procrastinate when it is time to leave work–I can’t get out the door quick enough and generally go straight to the gym;
- 2. I understand now that cardio can be included in a workout and doesn’t have to be just running;
- 3. I look at fast food and other junk food and want to gag… and tend to crave things like salads, almond butter, almond milk, and greek yogurt;
- 4. I eat a lot more throughout the day and feel more energized;
- 5. I have gained about 2-3 lbs since I started Swing This, yet my clothes fit looser (including my wedding dress) and I don’t stress about the extra couple of lbs since I know its muscle and NOT fat (losing 1% body fat in just about a month is a major moral boost…I wish I would have monitored my body fat from the very begining);
- 6. The support you get from attending Swing This is enough to make you want to come back for more...Swing This is a community and they don’t let you fail. I am SO thankful that I walked in the doors of Swing This on November 5th…my only regret is that I didn’t do so earlier. November was 8 months out from my wedding and I remember asking Joe and Michelle repeatedly if they thought I could lose more weight and lean out before my July wedding, but the question they asked was more important-was my goal to lose weight or to lean out? I have without a doubt, improved my body and mind in the last 6 months and cannot imagine ever returning to a regular box gym. I was SO concerned about being ready for my wedding and had convinced myself that the only way I could lose weight was by running it off. However, I haven’t hardly ran since I started Swing This, but have been able to lose fat. Just the other day, Brett made a comment that I “look smaller” and he sees me everyday! I still have (just under) 2 months before the wedding and will continue to workout at Swing This until AND AFTER the wedding. I have NEVER been so encouraged by results before…”
CONGRATS STEPHANIE !!! We’re very happy that you got what you wanted from Swing in terms of goals , community, and health.
As Stephanie stated before that she won’t stop. I made it a point to ask her what was she going to do after her wedding, because so many people fall into the ” I hit my goal and now I don’t have anything to work for syndrome” remember its a lifestyle and not a quick fix, she is consistently at Swing and hitting it harder than ever. Life is ever changing and the gym is one of the BEST THINGS you can do to RELIEVE STRESS!!!!!
CONGRATS ON YOUR GOAL STEPHANIE!!!
If you are interested in the Wedding Bells Kettlebell Group classes that Michelle Forlenza is offering at Swing This please comment here or send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org We will beo ffering them on tues and thurs evening around 7pm currently