Onnit Athlete DONICA STORINO IS ONE STRONG LADY. Interview by JOE DANIELS
Here at Swing This Kettlebell we have some strong ladies, and were only looking up to the best! here is a SUPER strong lady/ IKFF Coach, Onnit Sponsored athlete and friend Donica Storino
here is a short interview to get to know a little more about her.
1. In 10 words or less please describe Donica Storino Kettlebell champion.
DONICA STORINO: Fun, happy, determined, indomitable will, passionate, hard working, over achiever and grateful.
2. What interested you about kettlebells and when did you start training with them?
DONICA STORINO: A Russian Coach of mine introduced me to Kettlebells; it wasn’t until my IKFF CKT course in 2009 did I absolutely fall in love them.
3. How long have you competed in the sport side of kettlebell training?
DONICA STORINO: I’ve been completing since 2010.
4. You are incredibly strong for your size. What is your height and weight and what records do you hold?
DONICA STORINO: Oh dear, I’m 5’3” and weigh during competition about 50kg.
My records are CMS, MS (took me 3 competitions to achieve about a year), 3x MSIC Master of Sport International Class, 3 World Records in Long Cycle 24kg,28kg, North American record for 32kg.
5. What are some of your favorite training days or styles of training?
DONICA STORINO: Well let me start by saying my favorite training days are my program days for GS or Kettlebell Sport Rx’d by my Coach Ken Blackburn ( best Coach on the planet! Just my opinion). I also really enjoy conditioning days, and Strength days.
I also train with Barbell work, mixed bag of conditioning, running, Muay Thai, bag work.
6. I know you have worked with Ken Blackburn as a coach. Have you worked with other coaches before?
DONICA STORINO: Ken Blackburn is my Coach and will continue to be my coach… but yes, I have worked Greg Michovich for 4yrs he coached me and taught me Muay Thai, Stick fighting, BJJ & Systema. Greg is very gifted athlete and Coach. Jim “The Milkman” and “Uncle Mike” of The Training Room are amazing conditioning coaches.
7. I think you are near the very well known Zac Even Esh training facility. Do you ever train there?
DONICA STORINO: Zach is a great friend of mine. His wife and are best friends, our families are close. Yes, I have trained in his gym and followed his programming. He is my son’s strength coach currently. I’ve told him I will need to replace the turf in his gym as I am addicted to the sled… Sometimes along with weight his son likes to take a ride.
8. You are an IkFF level 1and 2 coach. Who do you like working with and where do you do most of your training?
DONICA STORINO: My passion is teaching anyone who is serious, but I love teaching kids. They are the future of our sport. I train in my own gym, outside, at the Beach or in the street.
9, Where did Bellbitch come from ? (clothing line)
DONICA STORINO: My friend Marla is a Bell Bitch!!!
Story goes, I was competing and she was unsure and came to IKFF Nationals to check it out and as she puts it be my “BELL BITCH”.
I introduced her to my coach Ken Blackburn and says…” I’m Donica’s Bell Bitch! I wish you all could’ve seen his face. He said “ her what”? With that said, that’s how BB came to be.
10. What are your goals in the next year?
DONICA STORINO: My goals are MS, MSIC, and some World Records in Snatch!
11. What do you do for injury prevention?
DONICA STORINO: I follow my programming Rx’d by my Coach and Bikram Yoga.
Rest and recovery.
12. Have you ever had a training injury?
DONICA STORINO: Here and there… I try to be really smart about training, if I do have something brewing or slight pull of some sort… I rest, recover, and get adjusted regularly by my chiro Dr. Frank Costa.
13. How often do you take rest days of even rest or a detraining low volume week?
DONICA STORINO: I plead the fifth… lol. Not enough, more so now with the heavier bells.
14. What do you do for stress relief?
DONICA STORINO: I love to have fun, I’m super silly… I enjoy my workouts so much as hard as they are.. so that’s stress relief.
I love hot yoga, and I love the beach
15. In closing , do you have any words of advice for aspiring female kettlebell competitors ?
DONICA STORINO: My advice is to do what you love, it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks. Work twice as hard as everyone else. Have goal and attain it.
Let NO one make you stray from your path. Believe in yourself no matter how big the Dream!
Let the haters hate. Keep moving forward while they stay behind finding excuses why they can’t!
Always have fun and enjoy the process.
Thanks Donica and keep pushing it hard at your competitions
Here are some videos people may enjoy…