What is Maca? Is it worth taking?
Maca (lepidium meyenii) is a root vegetable and medicinal herb from Peru. It is sometimes prepared and eaten as a root vegetable where it is available fresh, it can also be turned into raw organic maca powder and used as an adaptogenic herb
- ———-It is regarded as a highly nutritious, energy-imbuing food, and as a medicine that enhances strength, endurance and also acts as an aphrodesiac . ( Kilham, Christopher (2000).. [Emmaus PA]: Rodale Press.)
- ——Maca is becoming popular with many people, and has been shown to reduce prostate size in rats
- many people notice an increase in overall well being and energy in just a day or two after taking Maca. It is an endocrine system supporter due to the minerals and phytonutrients it is comprised of, such as Magnesium and selenium .
- Ive noticed that by taking it i just start doing things and just keep going. it gives you a sustained energy without jittery caffeine like effects.
- ——Randomized clinical trials have shown that maca has favorable effects on energy and mood, may decrease anxiety and improve sexual desire. Maca has also been shown to improve sperm production, sperm motility, and semen volume
How to Use By sprinkling a few teaspoons of this powder over food or adding it to your juice, smoothies or yogurt, you can add calcium, iron, magnesium, selenium and seven essential amino acids. I find that it has a nutty slightly sweet with a hint of bitter to it. Kind of like a powdered peanut butter. Peanut Butter and Chocolate mixes well with it and you can hardly taste it when mixed into chocolate protein shakes.
What to Look Out For : Maca is consumed as food for humans and livestock, suggesting any risk from consumption is rather minimal.